Every now and then I catch myself or my wife with something that we didn’t do back in Germany. Something very American. So I thought it would be funny to list a few things that expats sometimes copy, because they are getting slowly but surely Americanized. I actually just wanted to do a “5 Signs” series, but as soon as I started my list I couldn’t stop. If you’re American and easily offended, please read this instead.
1. You complain about how expensive gas is.
2. You idle your car while eating lunch, windows closed, A/C at 70 degrees on a perfect day in Spring.
3. You’re driving an oversized SUV to be safer on the roads. (If a big car collides with a small car, who wins?)
4. You’re spending money, that you haven’t earned yet.
5. You carry more than 3 credit cards.
6. Your TV is running 24/7.
7. You’re ordering ice with every beverage.
8. You enjoy drinking light, ice cold beer with no crown.
9. You drive to your friend’s house 2 blocks down the road.
10. You never turn off your porch light.
11. You set up Christmas decoration like there’s no tomorrow.
12. You start liking Baseball.
13. You think about the sport with helmets when somebody is talking football.
14. You own at least one American flag.
15. You just enrolled in a college savings plan.
16. You order your pizza with triple cheese.
17. You’re chatting to complete strangers.
18. You’re wearing flip flops in winter.
19. You buy a gun to protect your home from terrorists.
20. You just got fired and your first thought is how to sue your employer.
21. You say “Excuse Me” for no reason.
I could go on and on, but want to leave some for you to mention. How many of these 26 signs have you noticed on yourself? Please let me know in the comments! Also, please send me your signs of “Americanization”. I’m going to add the good ones to my list as Bonus Signs.