How to Immigrate to the USA Without a Green Card - Live Work Travel USA|Live Work Travel USA

How to Immigrate to the USA Without a Green Card

One question that many readers ask me ever since I started this website is, how you can move to the U.S., if none of the most common ways to get a greencard is working out for you. While I’m not an attorney or immigration expert, I can still try to give you some ideas about alternative ways to immigrate or at least live in America temporary.

First of all, before you take any action I encourage you to just spend your next vacation somewhere in the U.S. It’s important that you’ve been in the country at least once to figure out if you could really imagine starting a new life here. Granted, a vacation is obviously not the same than actually living, let alone working, in America, but anything helps to get this first impression. If you don’t have the money for a vacation, read and learn as much as you can about the USA to get a better idea of how it would be to live there. A great source are blogs from immigrants, who write about the good and also challenging things that they’ve experienced during their journey.
And most of all, learn to speak English! You’ll need it. Every day! Don’t think you will pick up the language after you immigrated. It takes time and the more prepared you are, the better.

Your first language could be of great value

Whatever your native language is, it could be your ticket to America. Some companies, that are doing a lot of business with your home country, might be looking for people who are fluent in English and your first language. Of course you would need some skills in the job that they’re trying to fill, too. Language alone hardly ever lands a job, unless you work as a translator. Other companies might have their headquarters in your country with subsidiaries in the U.S., that need native speakers on staff. So go ahead, google potential employers native to you country, that have branches in America. That’s the first step.

Two ways to land a job

There are two ways for you to try landing a job in such a company. Check their websites and look for job postings. If you don’t know of any companies, search for “bilingual + your profession” jobs on Then apply for this job directly. Chances will be low, since they would probably have to fly you in for an interview and if they end up hiring you, they’ll have to go through the visa process which is costly and takes time. Time and money that some employers are not willing to spend, if somebody could do the same job and already lives in the country. The other option is a little bit of a detour, but might pay off in the long run. Find companies in your country, that have subsidiaries in the USA, and apply for a job. Try to get a position, that would eventually be considered for a transfer to the company’s branch in America. After a little while, talk to your boss and mention your interest to be transfered abroad whenever the opportunity might arise. Also keep your eyes and ears open about any job openings in the American branch of this company. Employers are often more willing to transfer their own employees abroad than to hire a new person, that they don’t know yet.

Examples of jobs with potential for hiring/transfer

  • Sales people
  • Engineers
  • Translators
  • Doctors
  • Teachers
  • Scientists
  • Programmers and Web Developers
  • Logistics Account Manager

The list does not stop here. There are many specialized professions that are in high demand for skilled international workers. If you don’t fit into the categories above, don’t worry, I’ve met so many immigrants with so many different backgrounds and stories to tell. There’s potential in any job, if you’re motivated enough and hook up with the right companies. But you’ll need to work hard for it and take action.

Au Pair

This is a great opportunity mainly for young female adults to experience the USA and live with an American family to learn more about the culture and every day life. You’ll get work experience by taking care of the host family’s kids as well as doing chores at their place. Au Pair opportunities are usually for one year, but can also vary, depending on the family that is looking for help. Applicants have to be between 18 and 26 years old in order to qualify for a J-1 visa for the Au Pair Program. Learn more about how to become an Au Pair Β»


Apply for an unpaid internship at an American company. If accepted, the company will sponsor you for a J-1 visa, that is limited to the time you’ll do the internship. When it ends you’re granted an additional 30 days in the country before you have to leave. Great opportunity to spend the last month traveling and exploring the country.
An internship is a great way to experience how it is to live in the United States. You won’t get paid though, so you need to save up some money prior to your trip in order to survive over there. You’ll have to pay for housing, food, J-1 visa fees and your flight. At the end of the program you will get a work reference from your employer, that will be very valuable in any job application that you send from now on. American companies like to see references from companies that they can call to verify information, if needed. They also appreciate the initiative that you took to gain valuable work experience abroad. It makes your resume stand out from the crowd. Learn more about these internships Β»


Study in an American college and get a degree, that could pay off big time. Usually international students will have to leave the country after they graduated, but some of them are landing a job and find a company that will sponsor them for a work visa to stay in the U.S.
First you will have to apply to and get accepted by a SEVP approved school. Then you could apply for a F or M student visa at an U.S. embassy or consulate. With the F visa you could stay for as long as you need to get your degree. Find out more about studying in America on this official government site Β»


I hope I gave you some hope and ideas to fulfill your dream of living and working in America. Hoping for a green card is only one way to get to where you want to be. You can take your fortune in your own hands and work on your career, because a job is the best way to get your American Dream started. A green card alone won’t earn your living.

Check out this website for even more ideas on how to gain experience in America with a J-1 visa.

Photo credit: Β© Olivier Le Moal –

259 Responses to “How to Immigrate to the USA Without a Green Card”

  1. hi how r u i have an american girlfriend we met online so if i go to usa and meet her in person and marry her in usa so then can i stay in usa permenantly waiting for ur reply thank u

  2. SOLOMON JACOB says:

    can you find me a job that will be okay for my qualification (Mba. management) 8 years working experience in Banking industry.

    • Dan says:

      Solomon, while I can name a few more job searching sites, the actual job search would be something that you would have to do yourself. Only you know what your strengths are and if you would be a good fit for job postings in the banking industry. Check out, or
      Good luck!

  3. arjan says:

    Im a British passport holder how can i get a permission to work there

  4. imelanie stott says:

    If I get a job as a housekeeper who want me to work there is it an eb3 I apply for? Can I move whilst applying if so what forms do I need to enter the us?

  5. Jay says:

    I have a girlfriend in the UK and we want to move to the US and be able to work – what’s our easiest option?

    • Dan says:

      Hi Jay,
      What about trying to land an internship like me and my wife did back then? We had to pay for flights and housing, but gained valuable experience and were able to put this internship into our resume, which ultimately helped us to land jobs in the US.
      However, it’s difficult to find employers who would sponsor you for a work visa, but not impossible.
      Good luck!

  6. Leo says:

    Is it possible,since I am engaged to an american on dissability for me to move there,I am a dissabled canadian but want to marry and be with my wife.

    • Dan says:

      Leo, I’m not qualified to give any legal advice, but I would assume that you’ll be able to move to the US permanently when you’re married to an American. Being engaged alone will probably not qualify you for a visa.

  7. olamide john says:

    am a teacher and l want to come work and live in usa

    • Dan says:

      Olamide, you should start looking at job postings from schools on sites like or I don’t know what subjects you’re teaching, but maybe there are schools that are looking exactly for what you’re teaching. Good luck!

      • omolara says:

        good day i’m lara i’m a very hardworking young lady and i wish to live and work in America with my family where hard work pays.can u be of help.i’m 34 year old married with 2 kids.

  8. Adelola says:

    I’m a professional printer, i live in nigeria but willing to relocate to u.s.a. I am capable to sponsor myself to usa, wot can i do to obtain visa and to move to usa? Thanks.

    • Dan says:

      Adelola, unfortunately self-sponsoring a work visa is not allowed in the U.S. You would have to find an employer first, who is willing to sponsor you for a visa. What you can do yourself is get a visa for maybe an internship and gather valuable experience by working for a US company during this internship. This gives you the opportunity to network and build business connections and you might even find an employer. Good luck!

      • mitchum worsnop says:

        im from the uk and im a hard worker i hate my life here ive always wanted to move to ohio usa any help mate i honestly dont know what to do im 20 years old i DJ i works in sports shop ive worked warehousing and done plumbing and heating at college any way for me to live there?

  9. Maureen says:

    Am a young nigerian that lives and work here but wants to relocate to the us to further my education in nursing. How do I go about it, really would want an answer urgently

  10. Fred says:

    Hi Dan .I am a 22 year Old boy I met this white woman who is about 53yrs old here in Ghana, she stayed here for about 2yrs , I was helping her with the house chores now she gone back to the US and want me to come over and stay with her . she asked me to make inquiries ,what do I need to do please??? I want to know wht I need to do to get all the traveling papers and how Long it will take me to get all this things done .am going there not just for a visit but to stay there .Please kindly help me out

    • Dan says:

      Fred, you would definitely need some sort of visa in order to stay in the U.S. for a longer time. Not sure if this woman can offer you a job, which she would have to sponsor you for a visa or if she would need some kind of au pair person to help her. Unfortunately I’m not a visa expert. Check out and post this question into the forum. I’m sure there will be someone who can be of better assistance than me. Good luck!

      • Fred says:

        Okay Thanks a million Dan But what Particular visa do I Need ???.. And yes she is willing to offer me a job after some time .

  11. Daniel says:

    Am in Kenya and I hold gradute diploma in supplies management . I would like to work and live in the US. How can I get help to land a job there.

  12. Dyre Vaa says:

    Hi, i am a norwegian working for a american owned company with a branch in my country.
    I work 28 days on and 28 days off in south korea and would like to spend my time off in the US, what kind of visa would i need?

    • Dan says:

      If you’re just staying 28 days for traveling, all you would need is to fill out the ESTA form (visa waiver program). That’ll allow you to stay up to 90 days in the US.

      • ali says:

        hi dan, i have a friend in usa that i can stay with he is an american but i can i get to usa legit, what would i need? i want to come and work and live there, please put me through

  13. Goodwill says:

    Hi Im Goodwill From South Africa, Im 17 Years Old And Would Really Love To Live And Work In The U.S .. The Thing About South Africa Is That Its Slowly Deteriorating And Its Difficult To Get A Job Now So I’d Really Like To Try Finding A Job In The U.S .. Please Help What Do I Need Where Do I Get Started

    • Dan says:

      Hi Goodwill, depending on your skills you could maybe start looking to find internships in the U.S. to get work experience abroad. Or maybe college? No matter what you’ll do, you will need some money for the flight and living expenses. Follow the links in this article to find out more. Good luck!

  14. Kevin says:

    I’m 51yrs of age would like to retire by 55 in Florida USA.
    Would like to buy a house there which doesn’t seem to be a problem. But of course its just being able to live there. I believe you can stay for a maximum of 6mths (inclusive extension) on a tourist visa.
    After that period could I go across the border let say for a holiday in Canada and then rtn to USA on a tourist visa again?

  15. mary says:

    I am an asian passport holder who is studying in June 2015 i will be a graduated as a dentist and would like to immigrate to USA.
    My boy friend is living there.we planned to get married but if we do,he may apply for my GC ,then I have to wait long time before go to i decided to immagrate by Visa, then change my status to F visa and then marry him!! but i donno which way is more safe to get visa,since my European resident permit will expire immediately after my school!
    If anybody here who can help me out?
    Thanks guys!

  16. mary says:

    Hi Dan ,I am an asian passport holder who is studying in June 2015 i will be a graduated as a dentist and would like to immigrate to USA.
    My boy friend is living there.we planned to get married but if we do,he may apply for my GC ,then I have to wait long time before go to i decided to immagrate by Visa, then change my status to F visa and then marry him!! but i donno which way is more safe to get visa,since my European resident permit will expire immediately after my school!could you plz help me regarding my issue?
    Thank you!
    p.s:im actually seeking a way to convince officer to get tourist visa after june 2015,i have already been in states last summer by B1 Visa! but after my school is hard to get it!

  17. mercy says:

    am in Kenya and ave done CISCO Certified Network Associate an American certification how do I get an internship,please help me how did you manage to get an internship.
    thank you

    • Dan says:

      I took the easy, but expensive route to get an internship and hired a German company ( to find me an internship in the field of my choice. They found something in Oakland, CA as well as a host family for me to stay. I had to pay a fee that was probably a couple thousand Euros for a 6 week internship plus flight and living expenses. Wasn’t cheap, but I got what I wanted and had a great time. Looks good in my resume too.
      Just google internships USA and I’m sure you’ll find similar services. But make sure they’ll let you know the exact location and name of the company that they found for you. Make sure it’s really what you’re looking for, because sometimes they’re just lazy and place you in a company that just needs cheap/free labor.

  18. Aleksandar says:

    How you can migrate or fined job in USA when USA employees don t like Foreigners even legal ones,how I can prove them that I got Experience in Construction jobs if they don t want to accept my CV or Cover letter,its nonsense its like that everywhere.

    • Dan says:

      Aleksandar, don’t give up. It’s not that America doesn’t like foreigners, it’s because there are so many qualified Americans looking for jobs, that there must be a very good reason for an employer to hire somebody from abroad. They also have to pay a lot of money to pay for your visa and relocation, so if there’s somebody equally qualified and already lives in the U.S., they will almost always hire this person instead.
      Google how to build a resume (CV) for the American market and make it top notch. Add a cover letter written in English with good grammar and no typos. Make a great first impression! That doesn’t guarantee you an interview, but it’s a start. Good luck!

  19. mercy says:

    Hello Dan
    thank you for replying to us all,my question is how do I.know the company is reall is it possible to suggest some that are legit where one can start the process right away thank you.again

    • Dan says:

      If I would be looking for a company who connects you with internship programs today, I would only look at the top results in Google when searching for “internship USA”. The website should look professional, be informative, have lots of testimonials from happy interns and a clear pricing structure. Some companies might charge a small upfront fee to get the process started and that’s okay. But I wouldn’t pay a huge chunk of the total amount upfront. They would have to show me some results first and maybe even organize an interview via phone, so that I could speak with someone from the company I will be an intern for.
      Unfortunately, I do not have any specific recommendations for you as my internship took place 10 years ago.

  20. Hala Ali says:

    Hi my name hala
    Am from iraq so i love usa so much it’s my dream please tell me how can i live in usa ??

    • Dan says:

      Hi Hala, the easiest way would be the greencard. However, getting a greencard is usually out of our hands unless you marry an American. It all comes back to work and finding an employer who would sponsor you for a work visa. This article was meant to give you some ideas about different approaches to get a “foot in the door” by either doing an internship or making yourself valuable for an American employer.
      Good luck!

  21. sharise says:


    Here’s my story… So I have a boyfriend of 3 years in the states, and I took a plane over there last August and spent 12 days with him. It was probably the best experience of my life! However, it’s really difficult now as we both just want to be together but we realise that it won’t be easy for us to get there. I’m in the UK and I want to immigrate over there but we’re both not entirely sure how. We’ve spoken about marriage and have agreed that it will be our LAST resort (as neither of us really want to get married). I’ve looked into different visas such as the H1B visa (?) which required I have a degree or some experience. But this plan fell through as I was unable to get into university and I’m not sure what I want to do career-wise; I figured I’d figure this out while I’m settled in the US. What I want to know is that can I get a US company to hire/sponsor me to immigrate to the US? I have a friend in Canada who’s boyfriend is petitioning to move from New Zealand to Canada, and he said that it’s difficult despite him getting his employer to offer his boyfriend the job AND him acting as sponsor. Also, they’re married and still facing such difficulties lol I just want to know if there is a plausible way for me to get over to the US with as little help from my boyfriend as possible? I told him that I will make my move once I have enough money saved up, but I’m still not sure how I go about this.

    Your advice is very much appreciated! Thanks!

    • Dan says:

      Hi Sharise,

      Marriage would obviously be the best and easiest choice to be together, but this is a big step that should be thought throughcarefully. At least you have one very good option if other plans keep failing.
      Since you’re still young and don’t know yet what you want to do career wise, what about trying to find a family in the U.S. nearby your boyfriend, that is in need of a nanny and is willing to hire you for a year. Or try to get an internship in the city your boyfriend lives in. In case of the internship you could even get your boyfriend’s family to be your host family. In both cases you’re achieving 2 things that will bring you forward: more time with your boyfriend to figure out if he is the one you would want to marry, and a great reference for your resume (CV) because of the internship or job as a nanny.

      This is all I got, I hope it helps or at least gives you new ideas of how to approach this.

      Good luck and I would love to hear about your next steps once you figured them out.

  22. Juliet Joseph Souhaid says:

    Hey Dan, my name is Juliet. I’m from Beirut, Lebanon. I’ve been dreaming about legally living and starting a life in the USA since I was 15. I am 22 now. I have visited the US (Washington DC, NYC…) on Summer 2012. I even loved the country more. I hold a business/ economics BA. I speak 3 languages and I’m learning the 4th. I applied for John Jay college of Criminal Justice in NYC. It is so far from my current major but I’ve learned in life to follow my dreams until there’s no other path to travel and hit a dead end. I was accepted in John Jay. It costs so much for an international student. I’m ready to study it but with 25000$/ year and 4 years to study I want to know if this major transition I’m taking is worthy my money and time. I don’t want to finish the four years of college and not find work and be sent back to Lebanon. The criminal justice major is not desired nor wanted in Lebanon. Any advice or help? Thanks

    • Dan says:

      Wow, Juliet. 3 languages and learning the 4th? I’m impressed. That alone gives you bonus points in your resume. Americans usually just speak English, with a few exceptions of course.
      If you have the money to pay for the first 1-2 years, I would totally go for it. You’ll probably have to work part time though to earn enough for the remaining 2 years.
      If you’re single I would keep my eyes and ears open for jobs in that field throughout the nation. You don’t have to stay in NYC. New York City is extremely expensive and your living expenses will be so much less anywhere else in the US (again, with a few exceptions). Check out the article about the Cost of Living in New York on my blog.
      Anyways, I would focus on your studies in NYC and at the same time feel out the market and find potential employers during these 4 years. You don’t want to start looking when the time is running out and graduation is near.

      Hope that helps a little.
      Good luck!

  23. Juliet Joseph Souhaid says:

    Thank you Dan.
    I am pretty neat when it comes to culture: I speak, read and write English, French and Arabic fluently. I am currently learning Spanish too. One more question. Is it possible for a non resident to work in the criminal justice major( Detectives, PI….)

  24. CHUKS says:


    • Dan says:

      I don’t know about the demand for welders in the US, but why don’t you search through some American job sites like,,, etc. to search for companies who are hiring for these jobs. Just send them your resume (make sure your English is top notch, no typos!) and ask if they would be willing to sponsor you for a work visa. You have nothing to lose by asking and offering your professional help at the same time. Maybe it’ll work out. Good luck!

  25. Hamza says:

    Hello , i am a tunisian passport holder…and i’d like to visit usa and stay in it forever…
    My question is : How can i live in america without gettin’ a job.

  26. Thomas says:

    Hi there Dan,
    I am a half italian half norwegian 22 year old guy searching a possibility to get to Us and live a life experience to grow as a man and as a worker, and maybe become a citizen in future if possible. I have only got an electrician professional institute high school diploma. Haven’t got related experience but have worked as shop employee / warehouseman for six months and other sixmonths as skiman and rental shop employee. Have tried searching opportunities through many web sites that works with temporary foreign workers and many other programs on the internet but haven’t got any good response. I even have relatives living in San francisco, a beautifull place where I would like to get started with this life experience. I am planing to live a month at my aunts house and seek personally if some companies are interested hiring me in the near future. So I am asking you kindly if you have any suggestion to give me. Can it be a good reference to have fluency in english and mothertongue knowledge of the other two languages even having only a brief working experience?
    Best regards

    • Dan says:

      Hi Thomas, if I were you I would definitely try to live with your aunt for a little while and getting an internship somewhere. San Francisco is a beautiful city. My favorite so far! Try to find out if there are any italian or norwegian companies nearby, because there you might have a little advantage to land an internship. It probably won’t be a paid internship, but you’ll get valuable experience to put into your resume. If you land an internship, make sure you really stand out and be the best you can be to impress the company.
      Once your internship ends, make sure to ask your supervisor to write you a reference. American companies really like to see good references from other companies. And internships are a great way to get these.
      Good luck and make sure to let me know about your progress.

  27. kerebih says:

    Am an Ethiopian having degree in pharmacy with 6years work hope was to live all my life in my county but i cant get what i expecting from my country so now i have deep interest to immigrate united stat of America to make my life better. so pleas help find chance to enter USA with out green card.

    • Dan says:

      Hi kerebih, that’s a dream that a lot of people around the world have. Unfortunately the US doesn’t make it very easy to immigrate. Probably because everybody would then just move there, which wouldn’t work out in the long run. If you don’t have a greencard or close relatives already living in the US on a greencard or citizenship, who could sponsor you for a greencard, then your only chance is to find an employer who would sponsor you. This article is supposed to give you a few ideas. Unfortunately I am not a job agency or anything like that, just a guy living in the US on a work visa.
      Maybe I’ll write a post about some more ideas on finding a job someday.
      Good luck and don’t give up searching for an opportunity to move to the US.

  28. kerebih says:

    Dan first of all i would like address my heartily
    thanks to u for your unreservedly effort to help me and guys like me. Dan life in developing country is full of tricky and also no ground for change. my dream is to arrive USA and pursue my msc and help my poor family so, pleas help me.
    thank u Dan

  29. Ray says:

    Hi Dan ,

    I am a civil engineer with wide experience in the construction industry and project management , speaking Arabic and English fluently , I have 5 uncles and aunts who are US citizens , what be the quickest way for me to come to the US and gain the citizenship ?

    Thanks !

  30. IRENEO says:

    Hi Dan,
    Im a College Instructor here in the Philippines for more than two years teaching Physical Education and Sports…Is it possible for me to stay in US with my aunt who married a Americans..and at the same time to work as Instructor also?Hope you can help me.

    • Dan says:

      Unfortunately, just having a place to stay in the US is not sufficient to legally work in the US. You either need a greencard, but the greencard through family has some restrictions, or you need to find an employer who will sponsor you for a work visa. Use your connections through your aunt to find a potential employer and go from there.

      Also, you can’t stay for an unlimited amount of time without having a valid visa. Even if you have family in the US.
      Hope that helps.


  31. IRENEO says:

    ok…how about if my uncle (american citizen) will be the one to sponsor me?but now im planning to process my tourist visa first and take vacation their for at least three months…at the same time find an employer or job that fits to my career…is that possible,,so the next time ill go to america im hoping they will give me a visa that can help me stay in US..I need your advise..thank!

    • Dan says:

      I’m really no immigration lawyer or expert in that regard. Just a guy with a blog.
      But in my opinion it should be possible that your uncle (if he has a business) can sponsor you for a visa, if he’s willing to go through this process, which costs a few thousand dollars. A lot of documents have to be filled out the right way including exact job description of what you will be working for him, then it has to be submitted to the US consulate in your country. It’s a process that takes a few months until you get invited for an interview at the consulate and finally get your visa. It’s way more complicated than a tourist visa and I would advise you to seek help of an immigration lawyer, if you find an employer (or your uncle) to sponsor you.

      Good luck!

  32. IRENEO says:

    Thanks Dan, But at this moment, Im processing my tourist visa, maybe it can help if ill visit there first and talk to my uncle ans process everything…or maybe if got luck I can search an employer their beside my uncle that can suite to my job…

  33. Gareth says:

    Hi Dan,

    Sorry to bother. I trust you are well.

    Just a quick one – I have been doing research and it seems very difficult, bordering on impossible to move to the US. I don’t simply want to live there or acquire a green card or so, infact my girlfriend wants to move to SA, but I want to give her the option…I am a Sales Executive for GM SA for the past four years – any advise or thoughts on getting a job there (i saw you mentioned that Sales is one of the jobs that has potential for hiring)? Her parent have offered to sponsor me (they have an irigation company), but I have done my research on that too and even that almost means nothing it seems unless close to no American can fill the job they can offer me.

    So my question is – is there any way of going to the states (for 6 months or so) to work? I only have a B1/B2 visa…

    Thanks you.

    • Dan says:

      Hi Gareth,

      Since I’m not an immigration expert I can’t give you an accurate answer about this. But check out this site:

      In order to legally work in the US for 6 months and receive payment you would probably need a different visa. Not a B visa, that’s for sure.

      Hope that helps a little.


  34. Tarik says:

    Hi there !
    I’m a young man working as a teacher in a private school in my home country Morocco. I’ve got my B.A in English studies.
    My dream is to work and live in the United States, any suggestions how could I realize it?

    Thx in advance.

    • Dan says:

      With a BA in English studies you might be a good candidate for a translator position. Have you ever looked into that?
      Hit the American job boards and search for positions like that or find Maroccoan companies who have branches in the U.S.
      Good luck!

  35. Prem Kumar says:

    I am from India i have completed my bachelor degree in Industrial biotechnology now presently i am working as a medical coder in Executive position with two year experience i am looking for opportunity to work in US in the same field what i am now so please suggest me a way so i can reach there easily….

  36. Dava says:

    Hi Dan,
    I’m from Congo, but I live in USA since 2010 as a permanent resident. I have 2 brothers back in Congo and I’d like to have one of them here with me, but I don’t know how and where to start. I’m still student but I think I can take care of them once they’ve arrived here. What should I do?

    • Dan says:

      Hi Dava, sorry for my late reply.
      Sounds like your brother will be eligible for a family based greencard, if you are at least 21 years old. Check out this link to get a little bit more information about the first steps:

      Unfortunately that’s all I can help you with, since I’ve never sponsored a family member or anybody before.

      Good luck!

  37. Jason Brody says:

    Hey! Dan I love the united states of America I’m from India and my question is i want to work and live in the us and I’m not graduated in college i mean is there any possible ways to get a high paying jobs. And I’m not a green card holder…

  38. Paulius says:

    Hi, im 17 years old, i graduated 10th class and i want to work and live in usa, is it possible me somehow to finish the school and etc. ?

  39. Connor says:

    Hey Dan i was wondering if im a norther irish person if i can live in us without a green card im sorry if im wrong but i have heard stroies and such

    Thank you

    p.s is it easier for an irish person to get a green card

  40. Dan says:

    Instead of replying to everybody, let me just say this: I am not an employer, job agency, immigration firm or attorney and cannot give you any legal advice. I am just a guy with a blog. I understand that you have a lot of questions about visa status, greencards and if your qualifications are good enough to find a job in the USA.
    What I write in my articles is all I know. Please understand that I can’t hire anybody, neither do I have the power to help you land a job in America. I can only give you tips to my best knowledge.
    Everybody, please read through the previous comment and my responses and I’m sure you’ll find a good match for your own question.

    Thank you

  41. asad mahmoud ali says:

    Dear Dan
    I’m from jordan and i hold a visa to u.s.a type b1/b2.
    i have long experience for 17 years as a programmer.
    can i find any company to sponsor me with my experience or can i transfer my visa to work permit visa ?
    if in not possible can i come to usa as an agent for a company here in jordan to work for them in students application fields and stay as long as i need ?

    • Dan says:

      Please remember that I cannot give any legal advice. My standard answer to this kind of question is to just search the job websites and try to find an employer who would be willing to sponsor you for a visa, that allows you to stay and work in the U.S.
      Please read through the other comments for this article and you will find more details.

      Sorry to be so brief.


  42. adebayo clement seun says:

    Sir i need a job in US i have B.Sc in Economics from U N N i want relocate to US i need employer to sponsor my visa. i have passport that valid 2017

  43. Nicole says:

    Hi Dan,
    I live in New Zealand. I graduated in 2012. From August 2013 to August 2014 I did an internship at Disneyworld in Florida on a J-1 visa. I feel in love with the country and would love to immigrate to Florida. I’m no longer a recent graduate so which visas could I apply for to live and work there? Also is there a time period of living in the states that you can apply for residency after?

    Thank you

    • Dan says:

      Hi Nicole,

      I was in the same boat. I spent some time on a J-1 in the U.S. and fell in love with it. Afterwards both my wife and I were looking for opportunities to land a job in the U.S., because we needed a company to sponsor us for a work visa. You cannot sponsor yourself, even though you have the money.
      We found a German company with U.S. subsidiary, that was looking to fill a position in the U.S. – my wife got the job.
      This is how you can reach your goal too. Keep looking through both American job websites as well as job sites in New Zealand.

      In order to apply for residency in the U.S. you would need to have a certain work visa first and live in the U.S. for a few years. The visa that we have (E-2) doesn’t allow to apply for permanent residency, no matter how long we’ve lived here.

      Good luck!

  44. vinayak says:

    Hi i have a B1 visa is there any job opportunities & is it possinle for me to work under this visa? or else whats the way?

  45. Tracy says:

    Hi Dan, my son lives in the USA with his american wife and my 2 granddaughters, he has lived there for 13 years. What i would like to know is could i move there to live with them, to look after my youngest granddaughter who is 3 and not yet in school while they are both at work, as a nanny costs a fortune, it would only be for a few months? thanks

  46. bnar says:

    Hi, my uncle is leaving in US citizen now,immigrated to US a long time ago,me and my wife and a 10 months childe whant to leave and work in US, whats our best option?could my uncle help me?

  47. Micheal says:

    Hi Dan πŸ™‚

    I’ve been online with my love for 4 years and i’ve also spent time with her during a holiday, a couple of years ago πŸ™‚ We’ve stayed in constant contact since that visit i made πŸ™‚
    I want to be able to move out to the USA and be with her, but i know i can’t at present. I’ll be going over again next year, where we’ll hopefully get some pics of us together. I know pics are required for a visa that allows marriage. But I was wondering, is there anything else required ? Ie, do i need a minimum budget to have, to enter and stay in USA ?

    I’m very interested to know all that i need to know for this πŸ™‚

    • Dan says:

      I highly recommend since I never went theough the K1 visa process myself. They have a great and very responsive forum dedicated to all kinds of visas.
      Good luck!

    • Joe says:

      Hey Micheal, K-1 visa is for couples who are engaged and the foreign partner is ready to go to America and get married within 90 days. You did not specify where you are from and how difficult it is from your home country to get a tourist visa to visit the US. If you are from a country that can get the B1/B2 visa quite easily, then simply enter as a visitor, record your relationship in detail through photos, videos and documents, and get married AFTER 90 days. As soon as you have your marriage certificate in hand, you can begin applying for a green card through a process called Adjustment of Status (I-485). In order to be able to be approved for a green card, either you or your spouse must have assets and/or income above a certain threshold; this is to prevent foreigners from immediately applying for social welfare assistance upon receiving a green card and becoming a public burden. Good Luck!

  48. dr joseph amos says:

    i am .medical dr and.have always.really wanna work kindly help me.regards.dr amos from

  49. andy says:

    Hi Dan

    Hope you can advise or point me in the right direction?

    I’m a UK passport holder and have been all my life. I’m lucky enough to work from home, in the travel industry, and work for a UK based employer, my salary being paid into a UK bank account – basically, I can live wherever I choose and wherever I’m allowed – my job goes with me – I just need a phone and internet and I’m good to go!

    Can I work from home, in the USA, without having to jump through too many hoops (and having to pay US income tax), either full-time or for several months per year?

    Thanks in advance, Andy

    • Dan says:

      Hi Andy. Unfortunately I am not an immigration specialist. Just a guy with a blog.
      As far as I know though, you cannot officially work without a work visa and/or work permit, no matter if you work for an American employer or self-employed at home. But you can certainly visit the U.S. for vacation. And what you do during your vacation is totally up to you. πŸ˜‰ However, tourist visas are only valid a limited time, so I’m not sure if that would be enough for you. With the visa waiver program you could technically stay in the U.S. for 2x 90 days per year.

  50. Lulu Moussa says:

    Hi! thanks for the information. I wanna ask you. My dad is a nurse and we want to live in the US asap. I’m 21 student. I have two brothers 16 and 20. What the best and the easiest way to live and work in the US?
    I also have two uncles and my aunty live in the US
    Thank you for your time

    • Dan says:

      Hi Lulu,

      I’m not an immigration expert, but maybe you could consider studying a semester in the U.S., if possible, or after you’re graduated in your country, try to get an internship in the U.S.
      This would show you how it is to live and work here to find out if that’s really something you would like. With family already living here, you could probably save money by living with them during your semester or internship.
      Good luck!

  51. Dave says:

    Hi, my wife and I are retired in our late 60’s, my wife is a dual citizen of the UK and USA, her son who lives in the US wants us both to come and live with him but I only have a British passport, what would I have to do to be able to go there with my wife?

  52. dee says:

    My son met a girl that was here on an internship for her degree. They spent 5 months, every weekend together, he brother her home to met the family and then she went back to the Philippines. My son and family invited her to come back to the US and visit again after she graduates and gathered the documents needed to apply for the visa…she was denied. I think the interviewer said…”Well, when you grow up you can apply again to visit the US, but not now…” Internships, scholastic applications and even fiance green cards take over 18 months to process…is there any other way that they can get here legally without so much time?…

    • Dan says:

      Hm, the only thing I could think of would be to just visit as a tourist for up to 90 days. But I’m not an immigration expert. Just a guy with a blog.

  53. Mohamed says:

    I am a petroleum engineer with out any experience just graduated this year and i want to live and have a job in a respectable company in USA “onshore, offshore, fields, workshops or Labs” what kind of chance do i have ?

  54. ABRAHAM says:

    1) Who are they always make everything effort to help me obtain jobs
    with end-client companies?
    2) I will pay for your services, for your help to me, as well as I
    would be able to assist with transport costs such as flights for
    myself if don’t have resources for me .
    I currently live in Ethiopia, Addis-Ababa, BY WHAT METHOD CAN I GET
    How do I register? Do I have to register online?
    Who do have the capability of doing this?
    Then how can I get my work permit visa approval letter lease cooperate
    me deeply and widely please????? How can I write them? BY WHAT METHOD
    CAN I GET THAT THINGS? I respectfully request you to grant me.

    In advance I am thanking you for your kind attention and hope to hear from you soon.
    Best regards,
    Abraham Welday
    P.O.Box 1027

    • Dan says:

      Abraham, I’m sorry, but I am not a job agency nor an immigration service company. Just a guy with a blog.
      Make sure to enter the greencard lottery, which still accepts entries until the end of THIS month.

  55. Christina says:

    Hey! Ive been reading all the comments and have been researching a lot. Getting very frustrated as I have went to college in the states and vacation there every year. I love it! I am Canadian…. so we cannot enter the green card lottery. I’ve been searching for employers to hire me in the USA for a work visa but no luck. I have many friends in and around the Western parts of the USA as I would like to live there. Any information would be appreciated.

    Thank you.

  56. Rubens says:

    Hello. I loved your answers and I hope you become a lawyer soon.
    My question is: if I start a business in USA, or by a franchise, that is not a investment over US$ 500,000.00, may I get a permission to stay legaly in USA and for how long?
    Thank you

  57. Shak says:

    Hiya Dan,

    I hope this message finds you well. I just would like to know if it’s an easy process to get into US. My father is a U.S. citizen and he always telling me it’s hard for me to get into the US because of the long progress that might take up to 5 years. I’m not really sure how honest he is. Could you please tell me from your experience or others that you heard of if that really such a big matter over there.

    At the moment i’m at the age of 33 and i hold Somalian passport.


    • Dan says:

      Hi Shak,

      I wouldn’t say it’s an easy process. Even if you win the Greencard through the Greencard Lottery, there’s a lot of paperwork and things to do to finally get the card. My wife and I just have a visa, but even for that we needed the help of a visa attorney to prepare everything just the way the U.S. authorities want it. And luckily her company paid for everything on top of it.
      You see, it helps to have an employer who is willing to do all this for you and pay for it. Otherwise, I don’t know if we would have made it ourselves.

      I don’t mean to discourage you. But I strongly advise that you go out there and market yourself and your skills as good as you can to find a good employer who is willing hire you in the U.S.
      It’s worth a shot. You have nothing to lose.

      Good luck!

      • Shak says:

        Many thanks for the prompt reply. I’ll consider applying for jobs in the U.S. πŸ™‚ It’s kinda hard to apply from overseas but as you said “It’s worth a shot.”

  58. Bob says:

    Hi Dan,i realy commend your replies. It has always been my desire to be in the states for about 9yrs now but to no avail.have entered into dv lottery until my country Nigeria was disqualified in the last two editions.i have a degree in sciences. Though i sort of lost hope about my residing in US but d urge is coming strong again.what should i do to actualise my American dream?.thanks for ur anticipitated reply.

    • Dan says:

      Bob, sorry that Nigeria hasn’t been eligible for the DV lottery the last couple years. I’m sure it’ll change in the coming years again. It keeps changing.
      If I were you I would keep searching the job boards in the U.S. and also polish up your resume and cover letter. I don’t know how fluent you speak English, but if you think it could be better, that’s also something you can keep practicing to prepare yourself for potential interviews with employers.
      The first impression is key, especially if you are looking for a company that will sponsor you for a visa.

      Good luck!

  59. Girish says:

    Hi Dan, I have been to US twice on B1/B2 visa for office work. During my stay I made many new friends who are US residents. One of them is the Vice President of the company which I worked for. Now he is ready to sponsor my visa but not sure how to proceed with this. Also can my VP sponsor my visa on his own as US resident? Currently I am a citizen of India.


    • Dan says:

      That is great news!! Congratulations!
      I strongly recommend to get with an immigration lawyer or visa agency who will be able to prepare the necessary paperwork for you. I would never try to do this myself. And I don’t think he can sponsor you as a private person. I believe it has to go through a company.

  60. Milda says:


    I came to usa with esta program, but I would love to stay longer here, because my boyfriend and his family lives here ( us citizens) what other ways to stay here longer?
    Thank you

    • Dan says:

      Marriage would be the easiest option to be totally honest. But this can’t and should not be forced. It’s also illegal to abuse marriage to get a greencard.
      The other option is to find a company who will hire and sponsor you for a work visa. Or win the greencard lottery…

  61. K. says:

    I’ll be attending to California Flight Academy in San Diego. The training might take nearly a year to end and I would like to know if I would get a green card in this little time.
    Also I would like to live in U.S permanently. So while booking the air ticket, can I book a ticket for only going to U.S, i.e to never return to my homeland ?

    • Dan says:

      I wish this all would be possible like in other countries, but this is the USA and no, you can’t just come here to stay without having a visa or permit. And if you are eligible to apply for a greencard it’ll take a while (years) to get it.

      • K. says:

        Thanks for the reply.
        No, I already have a visa. I would like to attend CFA. Can I do so with just a visa. And if the training is over, would I still be able to live in the U.S ? In the meantime( i.e during the training period), I would be applying for a greencard. Can you help me with this ?

        • Dan says:

          Not sure if you’ll be allowed to work with your CFA visa once the training is over.
          I won’t be able to assist you to get a greencard. I am not an immigration expert and I don’t offer any services like that. I’m a guy with a blog, that’s it.

  62. Noxtala says:

    i am helping a friend that lives in south Africa, and he does not have a lot of money. what is the easiest way for him to live here in the USA?

  63. Arinze says:

    Hi, please I am a graduate of law from Nigeria, currently doing my masters Degree in Business Administration in the UK, but my passion has always been entertainment, and everyone knows that the U.S. is the place to be, but the problem is getting a permanent visa because of how the entertainment industry works. So many uncertainties and the UK movie industry is as good as dead. What do I do?. Am kinda desperate

  64. Khen says:

    Hi Dan,

    I’m Kenneth, but just call me Khen. I found your article so interesting. I am a Filipino, I was born and raised here. I am 23 years old. I have a bachelor’s degree and I took another course recently. (And I already finished it) I have my aunt and grandma in US and they’re living there for almost 23 years and if I am not mistaken they are already green card holders. My concern is, can they help me as being green card holders if ever I planned to apply working visa in US? What I mean is, the chance to be approved will be more tangible and possible? I was planning next year ?

  65. Yusuf says:

    Is it easy for a school visa

  66. Boris says:

    Hello, I am 20y old Slovakian guy…I am going to work to USA this summer and I think about stay there to study at university. Is possible to get scholarship without good results at college (like if I am good at some sports or smthing like that) ? Maybe u got any advice for me, I’ll be glad. Thank you πŸ™‚

    • Dan says:

      I heard about cases where students with exceptional skills in sports got scholarships, if they’ve been scouted in Highschool from interested colleges. Don’t know anything about the details though. But I always thought you would have to attend an American highschool to even be on the radar for a scholarship. Good luck!

  67. harry says:

    Hi DAN
    I am living in india and working as software developer in MNC.I applied for various posts and company through and and many other websites too.But unfortunately did not get any reply…:( Also i started looking for internships in america.Buut i did not get in touch with any employer who provided internship.Could you please guide from where should i find such employer who could arrange internship for me?

  68. Samantha says:

    Hi Dan, my boyfriend got a job offer in Silicon Valley and we would like to move there together.

    I am a Singaporean who is a native speaker of English & Mandarin. I also speak Cantonese. Do you have any advice on the job websites/forums/companies I should be looking at to secure a job which is willing to sponsor my work visa?

    I have 1 year of experience in marketing & events management and I am currently doing Sales for a software company. Getting posted there by my current company is unfortunately not possible.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  69. pauline says:

    Hey Dan am pauline from.kenya is it possible to get a job in USA with visit visa?

    • Dan says:

      Hi Pauline, unfortunately you are not allowed to seek employment on a visitor visa. They will kick you out and will not let you back in the USA again, if they find out.


    i need to study in USA


    helo DAN i am LAURE from CAMEROON i want to follow up my study in USA .How can i procede?

  72. Mark Mosley says:

    Hi Dan, I am thinking of buying a house in Florida to retire to. I understand that I would only be able to stay for 6 months at a time. I have a couple of questions on this. 1. Iis it 6 months in any one year or could I go back to the UK for a couple of months and then come back to the USA. 2. Is there any way after owning a property and staying for 6 monthly visits (without having to invest 500 dollars) to stay permanently. Thanks.

    • Dan says:

      I’m not an expert, but I think it might be a little easier to just get a visa to live in the U.S. as long as you don’t seek employment. If I were you I would look into the B-visas. Maybe B2, which is a visitor visa. Not sure how long they grant you to stay at a time, but it may be longer than 6 months at a time.

  73. JK says:

    Hi Dan, I am American and my husband is from NZ our daughter has dual citizenship. We have lived in NZ and for the past 7 years. We are now keen to move to America. My husband has only ever visited and we are finding it extremely difficult to find the right avenue to get him legally there. We are looking at selling our assets here in NZ and moving to the states to be with my family for a while. That said it seems that it is impossible to apply for a green card if you do not live in the US. For us it feels too risky to sell up here travel to America and hope he gets a green card. Do you have any suggestions on what forms to fill out or the avenue to take so that he can work and live in the US? Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks

    • Dan says:

      Hi JK,

      Unfortunately I am not an immigration expert, just a guy with a blog. Maybe there’s a finance visa that would allow him to work right after immigration and then later on apply for the greencard. Check I’m sure you’ll get a much better answer there. Sorry, I’m no help…

  74. Dre says:

    Hi Dan, i’m writing from Jamaica. My girlfriend and i have decided to get married at the end of December 2014. Shes wants me to buy a one way ticket because its cheaper, however i am a little skeptical because my current status is visitor (B2) visa. Thanks in advance.

  75. Fatukasi Rotimi David says:

    I have HND in avionics and basic license in avionics and i want to come there and improve my self and affect my generation for something good

  76. tara says:

    hi im tara,im a fnish englih BA and medical doctor, i want to live and work in us, so what is the best way to live there?

  77. Leon says:

    Me and my friend are 17 years old now. over 2 years we want to live in the U.S. What do we need to do so we can stay there?

  78. Shaleem Javed says:

    Hi Dan,

    Dear I am shaleem from Pakistan, I belongs to a Christian family & the only son of my parents. Dear Dan I want to move to USA permanently, I have done MBA & now a days working in a five star hotel in Islamabad. Can you please help me out in this matter, because I belongs to a poor family with no strong bank account as well as has no reference/family in USA, so please do make me a favor, I shall remain thankful to you for the rest of my whole life.

    Looking forward for your kind response.

  79. Tsinyo ernest yao says:

    hi i am a interior decoration man and even saw curtian and do uphoustry work can it be easy for me to get visa to usa and work up there please….

  80. Saif khan says:

    Hi-I’m saif 18 years old from India and i wanna go america for my rap creer..I’m not having any degree in any field..i can work like in some restrauns as waiter or as a dish washer or in some factories anything which aint require any degree just a small worker as i mentiooned above so which visa i should apply? How can i go and live their like this? I saw many people working their like this…So please help me Dan its about my career…Please Thanks in Advance

  81. Anni says:

    Hi….i am retired and dont want to work anymore i am over it. Is it possible to just move to the USA buy a property and live in it?…i dont want a green card and yes i have been to the states on a number of occasions so know what i am letting myself in for πŸ™‚

  82. Treyci Le says:

    I am an exchange student. This is my second years in USA. I want to live in USA, but I don’t want to live in here with illegal way… Do you have any suggestion for me? I really need you help… Do u think after I graduate from college. Can I have a job and stay here?

    • Dan says:

      I would recommend that you reach out to potential employers while you’re still in the U.S. That’s a huge advantage! I don’t know if you will land a job, but maybe you can network with the right people that will hopefully get you a job later on after you have graduated. Good luck!

  83. Johannes says:


    I am from Germany and have spent a year in the US as an exchange student. I immediately felt in love with the culture and the people. A half year ago I cancelled my engineering studies and got to where I am now, being a philosophy student. But digging deep into this subject made me realize my tricky situation. Happiness will not be reached here in this country.
    So I must go, the earlier the better. Since I have no college degree or anything comparable to show, except of my fast learning speed, I am filled with fear. Could I get a job as a translator or a german teacher without a degree? I know I am good at teaching though.
    greets from Germany

    • Dan says:

      Hi Johannes, yes I fell in love with this country too after my wife and I spent 3 months on the West Coast.
      Without a degree it’s difficult to land a job in the U.S., but not impossible. Maybe you still have a few connections to maybe get an internship for some foreign work experience. It’ll be out of pocket of course, but that’s the price you would have to pay to increase your chances of potentially getting hired by a company, that will also be willing to sponsor you for a visa.

      Good luck! And keep trying the greencard lottery. If you win, at least the visa problems would be out of the way πŸ˜‰

  84. Lydia says:

    I never knew about Au Pairs before this article. I’m trying to find ways to move to the US to be with my fiance. Would Au Pairs be able to apply for USA citizenship after awhile or it is strictly for visitation?

    • Dan says:

      Au pair is stricly for the time you are taking care of other people’s kids or household. You won’t be eligible for citizenship after that time.

  85. Aisha says:

    Hey Dan I’m Aisha 20 years old and I’m from Egypt I’m studying in faculty of science physics department and I want to live and work in USA so I really want to know what should I do?.

  86. Anita says:

    Hi Dan

    We are from South Africa and we wish to immigrate to the USA.

    My husband is a qualified Fitter and Turner and has many years of experience in fixing machinery and general factory maintenance. I am a unqualified sale person, selling a product to Super Markets. My son, 21 years, is working at a leading IT company as a Web Developer (not qualified yet.) He has been working for over a year. He has an N3 and part N4 in Electrical as well. He is currently working on getting his Microsoft Certificate for Web Development.

    What chances do we have getting employment in the USA? Could you give us same good sites, where we could find employment?


  87. jamal says:

    Hi Dan! I`m from Uzbekistan. I`m 24 years old and I want just work in USA. So,what should I do?

  88. Natasha says:


    My uncle run’s his business in California and he would like me to work for him. I can potentially be qualified under Management Consultant position since I also have a degree in Business.
    Is it possible that I can get a TN visa based on my uncle’s company under management consultant position?

    Your response will be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    • Dan says:

      Natasha, I am not a visa attorney. Just a guy with a blog. But you’re in the lucky situation to have a family member already living in the U.S., who is willing to hire you for his company. I’m sure there is a visa you can apply for, that your uncle’s business will have to pay for. You will have to contact a visa attorney, who will then give you advice on what visa to apply for. The attorney will also prepare the paperwork for you, so that you have everything that is required for the interview at the U.S. consulate. Good luck!

  89. Neel says:

    hey Dan ….
    hope you doing well…. buddy I’m from Asia(India) want to start my career as a Web designer and move to USA I want to know that is there any scope for Web designer in USA.
    bcz I’m totally confused Is this a right career or I should go for something else ?

    • Dan says:

      Hi Neel, I think designers have it a lot easier to land a job than other professions. I’m a graphic designer myself and in many cases it is just important what your portfolio looks like and not necessarily what degrees you have. Same for web designers. But you have to be pretty good and stand out from other applicants that are already living in the U.S. However, you would still have to find an employer who is willing to go the extra mile for you, and that is to sponsor you for a visa and hold the position for you until everything is approved. Good luck!

  90. Bonnie says:

    Hello Dan,
    I have a few questions???? We live in Canada and would love to move to the USA… We, that is my common law partner our daughter and my self wanted to make a big move and that is moving to the Orlando, Florida. We wanted to know how to go about it since we have a child we need to make sure that we do things the right way ??? Due yo the fact that we need yo register her to school, my husband is in construction and when we visited orlando we noticed lots of potential work wise!!! We heard that a friend can sponsor us is that true? What about the lottery application ? We want to move to live a better life !!! Please any suggestions ….

    Thank you hope to hear from you πŸ™‚

    • Dan says:

      Hi Bonnie,
      Yes, if your friend owns a business and is going to hire either you or your husband, he might be able to sponsor you for a work visa. But you would have to contact a visa attorney for further details and to help with the visa process.
      The greencard lottery is every year, but like the name states, it’s a lottery. I’ve been trying for 10 years without ever winning it.
      Good luck!

  91. Christine says:

    Hi Dan,

    Looking for advise I want to move to California I am not anything special no big degrees worked about 20 years in credit and collection no family in the states no one to co-sign for a loan to go to school not enough money to pay for it more then one year no boyfriends for a marriage visa any advice would be help full. oh and I am Canadian I have enough money save to live one year in the states with out working.


  92. I thought that Canada was a nice place to live, but I could definitely see how moving to the sun would be so much better living!

  93. OLUFUNKE says:

    Hi Dan,
    I already have a visitors visa to join my uncle who has a construction company in Maryland and he is willing to employ me. can he get a work permit for me?

    • Dan says:

      You are not allowed to seek employment with a visitor visa. They won’t even give you a work permit. You need a work visa.

  94. Laura says:

    hi, my boyfriend may be posted to America through work for a three year contract. we are not married but he is keen for me and my daughter to go with him. his work permit will be through his employer but where would I stand? How could I go about getting possibly a temporary visa so I can work out there? thanks in advance.

  95. kokil agarwal says:

    hey, i am an architect (fresher) with two year part time experience. i am looking jobs in US, can you tell me the scope and where and how to apply?

  96. Mannu ohri says:

    Hello mr.dan
    My name is mannu and i am from india
    I want to do intenship in US for that purpose i am looking for a company which can hire me for intenship
    I have searched alot on internet but i am not getting any help , can u please help me in finding a industry where in can do my internship . Right now i am in final year of my bachleor degree

  97. Megan says:

    I am a lgv driver (large goods vehicle) with this will I be able to get a visa to work in the states??

  98. anuj says:

    my friend are citizen in us.there have business in usa.gas station.can they sponser me on work visa.tell me how

  99. Ethan says:

    Hi dan,
    I’m only a teenager but when I’m older would love to move to the usa as I just love it
    When I’m finished secondary school or (high school) I’m going to college
    At trinity college Dublin and I tink I’m going to study business
    I would love to work on la as a. Marketing executive or an accoutant
    How would I get a visa ?

  100. ethan says:

    hi there dan,
    im in college studying business and when i get my b.a i want to work in los Angeles in the states?
    can i just apply for jobs from my country and if someone accepts it
    will they sponser a visa?

  101. Nikola says:

    What is the easiest way to get into acting school in u.s.?

  102. laura says:

    I have 2 children born to a US citizen, we have just received the paper work to file for them to obtain their US citizenship, they both would like to live with their father and attend school in the US in september, one in highschool the other in college, if the citizenships do not come through in time can they get green cards for school?

  103. Alinor says:

    Hi Dan,
    I’ve been searching in the internet A Lot of answers to my questions. And i tried to come across here reading this blogs.
    Actually the case or the story is, I am an RN in the Phils. License and also here in Saudi where I am presently working now for almost 9 years. The problem is I have a US Citizen BF who is also presently working here in Saudi and we are currently living together almost like lacking is a marriage license to be called as H&W.
    Now, the problem comes that He has to go exit in this country and comes back to the US he wants to bring me to the US . He wants me to take exam and pass so
    I can get there and work but it will take too much time.BUT SINCE as to what I read to some of the forum the easiest way to get there is to marry him. He also wants to marry me but after my annullment. But I can’t right now because I am not yet legally annulled to my marriage. All the documents I am using now were still on my single status. How can I be with him in the easiest way. Marry him in the US? How? Will the State find out that I am still married there?what are the requirements in marrying a US citizen? Can you give me an option?

    Your advice will be highly appreciated. I will be working on my annullment by july this year. Thanks a lot. I will be waiting for the response.

  104. Fernando says:

    Im 16 years old and im holding a b-2visa but i wanna stay in the US , what can i do ? Since im already in the US for the last 2 months .

  105. Bulongo says:

    Hi Dan, I have avrefugee girl friend living the Us, since 2010, how could i fo to meet her?

  106. Marine says:

    i am programmer, have work experience,my husband is programmer too, so i want come to USA for live and work. How can i do it without Green card, by legal way.
    Thank you,
    With best regards, Marine

  107. Maryna Smith says:

    I am a qualified teacher with a 4 year diploma …teaching gr12s with 13 year experience. I am 49…….am I too old? And do I need a degree

  108. sukh deol says:

    hi my name is girlfriend lives us how can I vist

  109. mariam says:

    My sister is in usa and I want to stay with her what can I do?

  110. mariam says:

    Hi Dan,

    My aunt live in usa and i’m in nigeria and she want me to stay with her can I stay with her?

  111. Mary Sateyian says: looking for university sponsorship from the US.where do i start from?

  112. KC says:

    Hi Dan, I am just starting my research into immigration to the USA. I hold an Italian passport while my wife holds a British. I am aware of the employer sponsored visas, are there any options to apply for a work visa in a personal capacity other than the highly skilled/exceptional skills visa?

    Thank you in advance.

  113. Dan says:

    Everybody, sorry I haven’t been very responsive in the last few months.
    For everyone who has immigration related questions, especially visa and greencard questions, please remember that I am not an immigration expert. Just a guy with a blog. For these questions you will find much better answers and support on the following site:

    I’ve found many answers to my own questions on this site and can highly recommend it.

    Hope that helps

  114. abc says:

    Hello, Can my wife and I to have a residence permit in the US, sponsored by our child who is a US citizen under 21 years old. We currently live in New York. What steps should you follow to earn the right to stay in America. Thanks

    • Dan says:

      I’m in the same boat. I have to wait until my child (US citizen) turns 21, before she can sponsor her parents.

  115. Abby says:

    Is it just me or is it really hard to find work in the USA when you are living in Australia??
    My husband and I have been to the USA 4 times in the last 4 years and we are dying to make the move but cannot get work until we have a VISA but cannot get a VISA until we have work. He’s a highly skilled carpenter and trainee fireman and I am an Operations Manager for the largest financial institution in the country. Surely there is an easier way!

  116. sam says:

    hi i woud like to start a new life me and my family in the usa we are from Lebanon i have capital nd i do not want to work i am retierd and i can support my self and my family i just want a good life for my children to have a better education and i better futher what is the best way to immigrate to the usa

  117. hina says:

    Is there any job for pakistani matric pasS lady who able to takecare of old lady or childrens at home.I want H1 visa job because I want to settle in USA with my family if some one help me in this I do there job without pay till 6 month.plz

  118. Nicolai says:

    Hello, great article!
    I am a 20 year old guy from Denmark and I plan on becoming a high school teacher, and I also happen to be in love with the United States. However, the US immigration system confuses me quite a bit and it also seems like it’s hard to actually live and work in the States.

    I have an aunt, an uncle, and two cousins in the States so the family visa is out of the question. Thus, it seems to me that the only option would be to find an employer who is willing to spend time and money in order to get me (a foreign language teacher since I currently speak 3 languages) to the States. Therefore, my question to you is whether this is even a realistic outcome?

  119. arvind says:

    Hi i have a b1/b2 visa whith 2 chaild and whife and i intrstad ligal stay and study my son,doughter study in u.s.a. so, how prosesar? eligibal green card.

  120. nag saran says:

    hi my name is saran I am 18 years old and I love to stay in usa when I was a kid is there any way I will provide if you need any details please reply to my gmail account

  121. nag saran says:

    sorry I forgot I am from india

  122. Elle says:

    wow you’re great with the replies thank you! I have a bf in the usa and would you say that moving there by getting an internship is easier than trying for jobs? We don’t want to marry just for the sake of moving there. i already have a 2-year experience in my field but I’m down for an internship too. Do you pay for your own visa for internships, and what type of visa is that? Thanks in advance.

  123. Rajath says:

    Hi !!! Am (Rajath) very much interested to work and settle in U S A …. am from India I don’t want to stay here any more … and i don’t have degree here … I’m from poor middle class family … Please help me out without education and without money want to live in u s a

  124. Hannah says:

    Hi I am looking to move to America I have worked in the hotel and bar industry for 4 years now and I want to know if it’s possible I can try and live in America

  125. white girl from US in love with a morrocan man says:

    I met a very lovely man in the internet that i want to move the US from Morroco. I will marry him if thats what it takes to get him a visa. But what steps do we need to take?

  126. Shallaw says:

    Iam in Iraq and Im engineer how can immigrate to U.S.A

  127. and secondly am a caterpillar engineer i need a better company in U.S.A to work with over there or caterpillar training school for further knowledge please this is my phone number +2347034192382

  128. GB says:

    Hi I am a naturalpathy ( herbalist) doctor.I am 39 yr old . I am from India , I have 15 yr experience. How I can migrate USA.

  129. alemu belay says:

    My name is alemu belay from Ethiopia. I want to migrate to America. How can i do ?

  130. nareeman says:

    Hi there im from middle east countries live in traditional society but this is not the way I like. To live .i like to find ppl who reall have a passion ti wirk in IT feild and I want to choose the persin who will be my partner for the rest of my life because here thus is impossible.i have here a good job and my friends advice me not to leave my country because ppl outside diffrentiate between ppl according to their religion and skin color.i need your advice

  131. Sara says:

    Hi Dan, im sara 25, i live in kosovo, i was once in usa by work and travel aglency while i was student, i would like to go again to live and work, i just dont know how is my chance, is it possible

  132. Brenda says:

    Hi Dan,
    i have gone through almost all the messages and thanks for the advise.I have for the passed six years been trying to apply for the green card but i am always not selected, what could be going wrong? i have tried to fulfill all the requirements.Will i ever be selected or i should give up. Is it possible for me to apply through my cousin who is already a green card holder in the US or use an attorney? Please advise.

    • Dan says:

      Brenda, I’d say keep trying the greencard lottery. Your cousin’s greencard won’t help you. Only immediate family members would work (siblings, kids, parents).

  133. Mansour says:

    Hi I am from Afghanistan my country is a country under war here i am under treat of Taliban and terrorists so i can’t live here happily so i want to ask you that if there is a way that i immigrate to USA witout green card please help me and reply as soon as possible thank you.

  134. Norkhan says:

    hey Dan, I have an american friend said he can find me a job. i would just like to know if what is first to be done on his part. then on my part.. i heard people told me before that I should have enough money on a bank acct in order to qualify for the visa. is that true? and shall I apply for an american visa? or my friend can do that for me?
    another thing,what are the transactions i have to do with american embassy here in the Philippines?

    • Dan says:

      Hi Norkhan,

      I would advise to seek help from a visa attorney because it comes with lots of paperwork. Also check out this forum to maybe get more answers that I could possibly give you:
      You will have to show a bank statement to prove that you have enough funds for a return flight.

      Good luck!

  135. fawad says:

    Hi dan i am from Afghanistan and I and my friend are interested in USA and we really want to immigrate to USA because here we can’t work and live safely so is there any way that help us to immigrate to USA. can u help us please.
    thank you

  136. SamSahi says:

    Mr. Dan i just came to USA On B2/B1 visa i like to stay in USA for Good One off my Friend offer me a Job do he can Sponsor me he is able to Sponsor me do i can get my Straight way work permit Or green Card please reply how long this is process i will wait for you Response

    • Dan says:

      SamSahi, if you have a valid job offer and your employer would be willing to sponsor you for a work visa, then they or you should contact a visa lawyer to help with the paperwork. Back in 2005 I believe it took us about 2 months from signing my wife’s employment contract to receiving her work visa.

  137. beben says:

    Hi Dan, im a girl and planning to go to USA just to marry my girlfriend. is that possibe?

    • Dan says:

      Beben, same sex marriage is legal nationwide since June 2015. I wish you and your girl friend all the best!

  138. Marco Isidori says:

    Hi, is there any way you can live in the USA by being a trucker ?I read on a forum a guy from New Zealand went to work for a trucking company in 2006 and he is now an american citizen. But someone else said trucking is not a skilled job so it won’t be possible for me.

    • Dan says:

      Marco, it all depends on your employer. If they need you and you have the skills or qualifications that they are looking for, they could sponsor you for a work visa. Doesn’t matter if you’re a trucker. If they need drivers and can’t find any good ones, they might be willing to hire people abroad. Do your research and start reaching out to trucking companies. Can’t hurt to ask them for any job openings.

  139. Lieke says:

    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the informative blog. I am a 16 year old girl from the Netherlands, and I’d like to move to the US permanently after I finish school (I will be 18 by then). What are my options? I am really confused by all the different VISA.

    • Dan says:

      Lieke, it depends on your goals. Since you’ll be fresh out of school with no work experience, you could for example become a foreign student at a U.S. college or you could do an internship at a U.S. company (I did that for 2 months just to have some work experience abroad in my resume). While you’re between 18 and 26 you could also become an Au Pair to gain experience abroad and experience the U.S. first hand. Sometimes people change their mind about living in the U.S. after they lived here for a while. Would be good to “test” it with the ideas above. Vacations don’t really count, because you have to experience a “normal” life over here in order to make an educated decision.
      Start saving up enough money to finance any of the above. You’ll most likely have to pay for flights and living expenses while you’re in the U.S.

  140. John hand says:

    I have been living and working in the U.S. For the past 11 years legally on an H1B, I was promised a green card from a large corporation and they renaged on the promise cancelled my green card application after being in the system for 10 years and laid me off. Corporate bastards, I have a home which is still under water so I can’t sell it and I have to pay my own relocation costs back to Canada. I have worked for this shit bag corporation for nearly 26 years I supported them in Canada, U.S. And in Mexico when the idiots went to a low cost country and are loosing there shirts. Watch out for corporate promises.
    If I retire and stay in the U.S. How easy is it to restart my green card after being in the system for 10 years. I am now pulling a U.S. As I have paid my dues, what do you have to do to get into this country?
    Any suggestions?

  141. John hand says:

    U.S. Pension

  142. Clau says:

    Hello Dan,
    It’s very interesting what you wrote so thanks for that. It’s mine and my husband all the time dream to go to live in the U.S. and try a career there and the main reason is that both of us are artists, of two different kinds and we feel that we could really make it work for us there. He is a porfessional guitarist with outstanding skills and I am a multimedia designer (photographer, video maker, graphic designer) with a huge passion for the cinema. So it’s been now years trying to get there, travelled one time in NY and get all the existing information from sources that just tend to let you down. Somehow I felt some positivity from you and here I’m so happy to explaine how is our situation. I didn’t mention that he is Finnish and me Italian and probably as you said we could also try the native language possibility especially for him more than for me. We also have a friend in the music biz that might recommend him and try to get a O1 visa but that would kill the possibility for me to work there since partners of a o1 visas cannot do any work beside studying…not nice! We have been trying a life in Finland Italy and Spain but all the time comes a problem for one of us. Together we speak English and is one more reason why we think US is perfect for us. We would have both opportunities without the language obstacle that I had in Finland and he in Italy for the work seeking. We are so frustrated, tired and all in the between. We really want this to happen after all these years of desiring it. There must be some way for us. We don’t want to giveup! What do you think is there a chance for us? Your advice would be very useful! My best regards!

    • Dan says:

      Clau, I hear you and I wish I would have the perfect answer for you. I suggest you keep networking with U.S. people and companies, trying to find a job opening that will bring both of you over to the U.S. There are different types of visas and I’m sure you would be able to agree on one that would allow the spouse to be able to seek employment too. For example the E2 visa, that my wife and I have. I’m the spouse and I was allowed to obtain a work permit and seek employment, which I did.
      Most of all, if you haven’t started doing that yet, save up money and learn everything you can about what steps and costs are involved for applying for a work visa. If you find an employer that would be willing to hire you, it’s very likely that they don’t have a clue how to sponsor you for a visa. Be the one that can provide the answers and a rough cost estimate to them, so that they can make a decision faster. The paperwork will be something for a visa attorney to make sure everything is correct.

      Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!!

  143. khan says:

    Hi, i am visiting Usa and if i found there some good company who give me Job and all required document of sponser etc there in Usa. what will be my next status from visitor and is it will help me for Green card process.

    • Dan says:

      Khan, not sure if you will land a greencard right away, but if you have an employer that is willing to hire you and sponsor you for a work visa, then have them contact a visa attorney to start the paperwork.
      Good luck!

  144. Vikram says:

    Hi Dan,

    you mentioned that you first came to US as an intern. Can you please guide how to secure an internship in USA. I am an MBA Grad working in BFSI sector in India.


    • Dan says:

      Vikram, my wife and I hired a company to find us internships in our areas of expertise, so that we could have internships close by in the same city and live with the same host family. It was not cheap, but well worth the experience.

  145. Stewart says:

    Hi Dan, I am from scotland and married with 2 children aged 1 and 2, we would love to move to america, and were looking at the georgia/florida areas, i have a proven record in customer service and work as a customer service assitant in a well know supermarket here in scotland, i also have supervisory skills, people skills, sales, and training etc. how would we go about moving? i have a national qualification in digital media computing, my wife has a national qualification in Administration. we have worked out that if we saved that within 10 years we could have Β£60’000 but we are playing the lotto in the hope that we win and can move that way. is there anything you could say and advice you could give to help us fulfill our dream of a move to america?

    • Dan says:

      Stewart, I’m also still trying to get a greencard through the lottery, even though we already live here in the U.S. Back then we got lucky to stumble upon a job opportunity for my wife with a German company and we took advantage of it.
      Job skills and a bit of luck in finding a company that is looking for just these skills is how you could make it happen. But of course we can’t enforce it. Keep your eyes and ears open and constantly search the job websites for opportunities in your field of expertise. Polish up your resume and have it ready in case you find something and need to reach out to a potential employer. And start educating yourself about the process and steps to take to be sponsored for a work visa. It’s likely that they won’t have a clue what to do, so it’ll be beneficial if you already know a few things about it. A visa attorney will most likely be necessary to make sure the paperwork is filled out correct.

      • Stewart says:

        Hi Dan, so sorry for the late reply, i have actually been hunting for this site for the past month or so! my laptop died and thats it just replaced so i have bookmarked this page haha, anyways, yeah i have actualy set my resume up and i have a cover letter for going with it, my wife and i are over on holiday again in may 2016 and its just me and her going i have been in touch with publix but the carrers person i spoke to there didnt really have any information on it just a website but even then it didnt stay much other than they do provide sponsorship on some occasions. i would love it if you were to fill me in on some more information from your experience.

  146. George says:

    please am George i want to work and live in US but gat no money to travel down there… me

  147. Madhavi says:

    haiDan,i am from india….and I knew that the problem of mine will be very new to you…let me explain it.My boyfriend is studying in usa since 2years and he is planning to settle there and to marry me and to take me along with him on marriage visa.And my prblm is I should look towards my dad who is a widower living in india….well I have gone through all websites and learnt about immigration visa process….well even if my boyfriend gets greencard after 5years..he cant take my father there,because what I have learnt in those rules is he cant offer green card to his spouse father….please tell me if there is atleast 1% chance to take my father along with me to usa….right now I am working as a software engineer in an mnc company in india….please help me with your suggestion in this regard…as soon as possible….thanq

    • Dan says:

      It is my understanding, that as soon as your husband gets a greencard, you are eligible to get one too. As soon as YOU have a greencard, then you can bring close family (parents, spouse, siblings, kids) to the U.S. as well. Nevertheless, this process can take a long time and won’t be accomplished in a few months. Maybe check the forums at for more information.

  148. michael says:

    Hi dan im from new zealand, im 19 and I want to move to america perminantly. How do i do that. Please reply!

  149. EVE says:

    Hello Dan,
    I am Ugandan and i badly need to immigrate to the USA to live and work there. Ive tried applying for the green card but its a little bit costly and besides i don’t trust websites with money issues. can I get a sponsor to take me? if Yes please send me some contacts or sites where i can get in touch with them. please reply.

  150. sanaa says:

    Hi Dans,
    I am Sanaa from Pakistan. I am married with 2 kids. My husband is an IT professional and currently he is working as an IT team lead with a company which works in collaboration with US company.He is a Linux specialist. My husband and I want to move to US to work and live. I think my husband can have a better chance in US. But we dont know the procedure. Could you please helpnand guide through this. Please reply.

    • sanaa says:

      Sorry i misspelled your name.

    • Dan says:

      It sounds like your husband may have a good chance to land a job at a company based in the U.S., that will sponsor him for a work visa. But you’ll have to find that job first, before you can start any paperwork regarding the visa. Good luck!

      • sanaa says:

        Thank you for your reply. Finding job there may not difficult. I have read all the previous comments above and i know the links that you have mentioned. But i have a question to ask that whether the companies easily give sponsorships?

        • Dan says:

          It will not be easy to find a company that will go through the extra waiting period, cost and hassle to sponsor anybody for a visa, but it does happen sometimes.
          It all depends on your qualifications, extra skills you bring to the table and the amount of other comparable candidates that already live in the U.S. or in a certain area. If there are plenty of “cheaper” candidates available that already are eligible to work in the U.S. (e.g. if they are citizens), then the chances are slim but not impossible. It’s good to have a skill that others don’t have, like language (if this company can make good use of it in the U.S.). Or international work experience.

  151. sanaa says:

    Hi Dan, I want to know what is other option to go to US instead of finding an employee who offers the sponsorship. If a person goes to US and finds a job himself their , what visa will be required for that and how can one get that visa? What are the requirements? Please reply

  152. sanaa says:

    Hi Dan, there is one travel agent from US who is offering an invitation letter from US within 30 days after starting the process from our side. The process requires our passport copy, a resume and $1000 fees. The other half fees will be paid when we move to US. I want to ask is this real or fraud? His company is registered with the secretary of state. He has an authentic website also. Shall we start a process?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *